Thursday, June 20, 2013

Recycle B&BW Candles


On a recent bathroom redo, I purchased a set of metal and glass shelves to install opposed to a cabinet. I didn't realize that since I only had shelves everything would be on display so I had been looking everywhere for some nice storage containers and finally decided I wanted to use glass jars.

I got a little bummed because they were going to be costly and was going to have to wait to purchase them, but then I remembered seeing something about re-using jars, specifically candle jars, one already had on hand. And, since I am a lover of the large size Bath & Body Works candles, I thought those would be perfect (and from googling how to remove the wax, apparently those are very popular for these kind of projects!).

Basically, any candle will do... but I obviously have my favorites ;) Once you've burnt down the candle as much as possible, pop it into the freezer for a few hours. Even a whole day if you want to. Then take a kitchen knife (my pic shows a sharp one, but I found it easier with a butter knife) and wiggle it between the candle wax and the glass around the entire jar. You may have to do this a few times, but eventually, it will pop loose. Mine started out in small pieces at first, but the more wiggling I did, the bigger the pieces were that popped out. The metal piece the holds the wick comes right out too!


I found the sticker on the bottom and the label on the front both peel off easily and can be done before or after the freezer step. Since there is some leftover soot in the candle, I soaked mine in some dishwater and scrubbed it and the glass came out nice and shiny.

This is one example of how they can be used, but you could also store other things in them- sample packets, lipsticks, mini nail polishes, bobby pins/hair clips, or use it in another room in the house for something else... the possibilities are endless!

No comments:

Post a Comment